Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Book Review: The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events #11)

The Grim Grotto (#11)
by  Lemony Snicket
Date Read:  9/8/15
Rating: ★ ★ 
 

The Grim Grotto brought the Baudelaire’s to a submarine in which they had some new adventures and brushes with death and also met some new people.

BEWARE: THERE MAY BE SPOILERS!

The captain’s voice is my favorite voice that Tim Curry has done so far.  I found myself quoting him while we finished watching the series of Chuck: “He who hesitates is lost”.  This is now the second time I’ve seen something from this series pop up in Chuck!

The story itself didn’t move a whole lot in this book. Mostly Sunny is in peril – she’s had a rough two books – and the kids have to figure out how to save her while figuring out how to get away from Count Olaf.

The kids meet a new person in this book, Fiona, who you hoped was going to be another new friend for them since we haven’t seen the Quagmires in a long time. There’s a twist towards the end of this book that I was not expecting. While it gives a good lessen, that people are neither evil nor noble, I hope it comes around in the end to help the Baudelaire’s as this series comes to a close.

A little more information is revealed, but not enough. Mostly just more questions were posed  - did Quigley really send that telegram? Who is J.S.?  I thought it was fun that Mr. Poe popped back up though!  We haven’t seen him in a long time.


I’m really interested to see how this all pans out with only two books left in the series.  I hope the Quagmires show back up soon – and I want to make sure Quigley made it out of the river and gets the reunite with his siblings!  There hasn’t been very many Beatrice references lately, so there are still a lot of questions about that. Only two books left with a LOT of questions to be answered.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...